Tuesday, December 30, 2014

A gift for a baseball fan

One of my nephews is taking wood shop in school. He's current project is a side table. The really cool thing about it is he cut in the socks from the Boston Red Sox. I was so impressed that I decided to make him a lamp to go with it.

His mom and I took to Pinterest to see what we could come up with as inspiration. After a bit of messaging pins back and forth we decided on a design.

Once I knew what I was building, I could not wait to get started. I gathered my supplies and got to work.

Thankfully Kathie was able to supply the balls and glove.


I drilled a hole through the center of each ball. This was very easy but super messy. If you never knew what a ball was made of, I can tell you it is cork. After drilling four balls I could no longer see my floor under all the cork.


Once all the balls were drilled, I stacked them on the metal rod. Then I placed the rod on the glove and determined where I need to add a hole for the wire.

 
 Using my staple gun, I attached the glove to base that I had already prepared.


Then I ran the wiring. Wiring a lamp is really pretty easy. I purchase the complete kit and followed the directions. Be aware though, they do sell a three-way light kit and a regular kit. I made the mistake of grabbing the three-way kit and had to go back and purchase the correct light bulbs.

 

I attached the balls by screwing three screws into the bottom of the base up into the balls. All that was left to do was add the lamp shade.


 I absolutely love how this turned out.

What do you think....would you use it???


 

15 comments:

  1. This is really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! It was much easier to make than I thought it would be.

      Delete
  3. Hi. How did you attach the baseball part to the glove? Is the lamp wire under the base or on top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel!
      I used my pneumatic staple gun to attach the glove to the base. The cord for the lamp is thread though the glove and lays on top of the base. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions :)

      Delete
  4. Nice, but I would have painted home plate white

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although there are several items which you can try, you should first consider the more familiar ones like, baseball spin training aids, training gloves, bat weights and power pads. more detail

    ReplyDelete
  6. What kind a dimensions did you use for the base wanting to make one for my son

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was really an interesting topic and I kinda agree with what you have mentioned here! bestsportsgearhub.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. maple wood bats

    ReplyDelete
  9. did you put any “stiffener” on the glove so it folds it’s shape?

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool!! I want to make this for my husband who is a baseball fanatic. What are the dimensions of the home plate base?

    ReplyDelete