Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A new use for a old window




I needed a gift for a yankee swap with my friends. There was a limit of $20 for the gift. I was having a hard time coming up with a gift for that amount. I did not want to do a gift certificate and I wanted it to be something special. So after I got the ok, I went the handmade gift route.
 
I had recently repurposed an old window into a chalkboard for a local auction. There was a lot of interest in it, so I decided to make another version for the yankee swap.
The one for the local auction

I had seen this pin on Pinterest. I really liked it and knew I wanted to do it. I stopped at my favorite antique/jack of all store (Jellison Trader's). They didn't have the window I was looking for out on the sales floor. Luckily, I asked and after a trip to their storage barn (felt like I belonged on American Pickers) I found two of these beauties.
 
 
The windows still had the glass in them when I picked them out . I had my car that day and the windows would not fit. So we left them outside at the store until I could get the truck. In the process there was a big wind storm which knocked the windows over, breaking the glass (thank you mother nature).
 
To prepare the frame, I removed the small pieces of glass and sanded the rough spots. Once that was done, I was ready to start the transformation. I purchased the chalkboard at Home Depot. It's 1/4inch thick and comes in a panel (I just can not remember the exact size). Using the table saw, I cut it down to fit one panel. Using my staple gun, I attached both the chalkboard and chicken wire.
 
I also attached a thin strip of wood over the edges of the chicken wire to prevent it from scratching the wall

Once I had it all together I added to hooks for hanging. I also added a few clothespins for hanging either pictures or notes.
 
 

 Like the one I made for the auction, it was a success!  My friends loved it!!! In fact we even decided next year that all the gifts are going to be handmade.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment