Thursday, December 4, 2014

Traditions = Christmas

I am not sure if your family is like mine but Christmas is ALL about traditions. One my favorite traditions from my childhood was going to the craft fairs with my mom and picking out a new ornament each year. My most LOVED, CHERISHED (I will cry if anything happens to it) ornament is the very first one. That little ceramic snowball guy on skates is placed front and center each year.
 
It only seemed right that I continued the tradition with my children. For the first few years, I went to the craft fair and selected an ornament that was some how connected to that year. As the years went, I found it harder and harder to find the perfect one. Not willing to stop the tradition, I started making my own. The thought that some day many, many, many years down the road my girls will decorate their own tree with ornaments made by me....well I can't even explain how that makes me feel.
 
(I apologize for the pictures. These were taken for my own use and not up to blogging quality)
I love all the ornaments I have made in the past. Each one was made with love and reflects that year.

 
The ones from last year are my absolute favorite. In fact they became a tradition in a tradition.

 
Each block has a little interview with the girl of their current favorites, the picture from the Christmas card and copy of a drawing they did. I LOVE how one little block of wood captures so much about each girl in that moment.

These little guys are on my list of projects this weekend. I will show you the finished project along with a how-to next week.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment