Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Making my own hot chocolate sticks

When I was a kid on of the best things about playing in the snow was coming in for hot chocolate.


The melting marshmallows and warm feeling in your tummy, there was nothing better. No matter how old I get, there is something comforting about hot chocolate.

When I started seeing hot chocolate sticks every where I turned, I knew I had to give it a try.

Most of the supplies I already had. The one thing I did need was the mold, which is actually a bite size brownie tray. Using a coupon I was able to get it half price at Michael's.

Thanks to the different flavors of melting chocolate, I was able to make a few "recipes". My girls like plain old fashion hot chocolate and marshmallows. On the other hand.  I love the flavor of salted caramel chocolates. Using caramel melting chocolates and Himalayan pink salt (I got mine at Trader Joe's), I was able to make it. I also had dark chocolate flavor which I paired up with candy cane pieces that I found.

I melted the chocolate in the microwave (you can also use a double boiler). I started with 1 minute, then 30 seconds, stirring each time. Once the chocolate was all melted I poured it into the mold. I added the topping depending on the flavor of the chocolate and added a stick. You don't even have to use a stick. I have seen ones made with spoons and candy canes. There are a lot of possibilities!

 
 Once the chocolate had harden, I removed the sticks from the tray. You could speed up the process by placing them in your freezer or outdoors depending on where you live. I bagged each one and attached a little tag.
 
 
Now we just need some snow!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment