Wednesday, December 23, 2015

A sure way to get your plate back......

At Thanksgiving there was still some pie leftover and I left my plate behind. I wasn't worried about getting it back. To make it easier for it to be returned, I came up with an idea. I would add our name to plate! I wasn't thinking with a piece of tape and sharpie. What I had in mind was more permanent. I wanted to etch it on the plate!!!



I gathered my supplies.....


I have had this bottle of etching cream for
over 10 years and it still works great. 
After I washed and dried my plate, I attached the stencils (I like to hold the plate up to light after I attach the stencils. This allows me to make sure the placement is where I want it).


Then I added a thick layer etching cream. I had to be careful here and make sure I only got the cream where I wanted it. The etching cream is basically an acid. Once it has done it's job, there is no way to reverse it.

I let the plate set for 5-6 minutes. Using running water and a rag, I rinsed the cream off (before removing the stencils I hold the plate up to the light to make sure I didn't miss any spots). As a side note after I finish rinsing the plate off, I clean both my work area and sink with bleach to remove any acid left behind.

I wash the plate with soap and water (etching is dishwasher safe) and it is done!




Making this took no time, you could even whip one up for Christmas!!!

If you want to make one here's what you need......
a pie plate (or any glass serving dish)
etching cream
stencils (the need to stick to the glass)
foam brush
disposable gloves



If you make one please share a picture. If you have any questions let me know.



1 comment: