Wednesday, January 6, 2016

My DIY Jewelry Cabinet

It's said that the imitation is the best form of flattery and I agree!

When I first saw this jewelry organizer on Pinterest I knew I wanted to make it for my daughter's Christmas gift. I kept putting it off and before I knew it, there was less than 2 weeks until Christmas. Working full-time third shift, I figured there was no way I could get it done. I gave in and decided to make her a mirror, like I made myself using this tutorial. (It just so happens that both mirrors are created by Shanty 2 Chic. If you haven't every checked them out, do so!!!!) Once I got to my favorite orange store, I just could not give up on my original plan. Not having the plans for the one I saw I decided to wing it and create my own.


Here's what I did.....
I knew I wanted a cork board on the back side of the mirror. By using my router, I was able to inset the mirror and place the cork board on the back.

Here you can see the grove for the mirror and cork board.
I then used J hooks for holding the necklaces. I placed dowels vertically to hold both rings and bracelets. I placed one 1/2" dowel across for bracelets with a clasp. My daughter loves earrings and I knew her collection would only continue to grow. I struggled with the idea of how to store them. Finally, I decided to use the plastic canvas I used as a child for cross stitching. It works GREAT!!! I used J hooks again, along with binding rings to hang it up (after about a hour on Christmas day, my daughter and had attached all her earrings to the canvas). I left one shelf for her to use as storage.



I just love the gold!!!
The last step was to add the hinges. I figured all hinges were the same, sadly they are not. The ones I purchased would not work. Because I created the door to sit right on the frame, the only hinges I could use were the European hinges. Let me tell you, when I discovered this I almost scraped the whole thing. Those hinges scared me!!!! What if I attempted and I ruined the cabinet?!?!?! I sucked it up, bought the hinges and the drill bit and said here goes. Guess what I did it!!!!!!! And to tell the truth I could not be prouder of myself.
Still can't believe I did it!!!!
I am so glad I went with my original plan, the cabinet was a big hit on Christmas morning!!!




What do you think, would you find my version flattering???




I shared this over at Ryobi Nation. If you wouldn't mind stopping by and voting for it, I would be super thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment