Monday, February 22, 2016

DIY Dog Food Storage Container

I finally finished my dog food storage container. I was inspired by the plans over at Addicted 2 DIY http://addicted2diy.com/2015/07/31/diy-dog-food-station-with-storage/ along with plans at Build Something.com. Although I really liked the one at Addicted 2 DIY, I felt it need a bit more for my taste. Using the one at Build Something as my inspiration, I was able to modify the plans from Addicted 2 DIY to come up with mine.


I finished the bottom using Rust-Oleum Chalked paint in Charcoal and Chalked Protective Topcoat in matte clear.


This was my first experience with this line of Rust-Oleum and it will not be my last! I love that one coat of the Chalked Charcoal was all I need do, no priming needed. The coverage was smooth and even. Even though applied with a brush, I saw no brush strokes when dried. One note though, I am glad I read the directions because shaking the container is not recommended. The matte clear finish goes on creamy but dries clear, protects your build and leaves a nice smooth finish when dry. Again I only used one coat and did not sanded between the painting and applying the protective topcoat.


For the top I used Rust-Oleum Varathane Fast Drying Stain in Gunstock. I absolutely love the color!!!


Varathane is a fast drying stain and a bit thicker than other stains I have used. The application was very easy. I applied using a rag, the coverage was smooth and even. I will be trying more colors, in fact the line even includes reds, blues and oranges. I finished with 2 coats of a satin poly I had.



The dog and cats love it.

 I love how it blends in with the house.


As a fan of Rust-oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Coverage 2x Spray Paint, I am glad I was given the opportunity to try other products by them. Having never before used any brand of chalk paint, I was completely surprised by it. I love how there is really no need to prime before painting. The coverage is even and the finish is beautiful, even without the protective topcoat(although I recommended using it). The Varathane stain was a breeze to use. The coverage was even and beautiful. And like the name says, it really did dry quick. Another plus I did not notice an odor, like I have with other stains.


Another great thing about Rust-oleum is Creators's Studio, This online community is one of a kind. What makes this site different from others, is the interaction with the Rust-oleum moderators (who are great), the online polls, the challenges and rewards. This is site is full of wonderful people of all levels of DIY'ing. I have found the interaction between members to be really great. I think if you are even slightly interested in DIY you need to sign up (which is FREE).


Disclaimer- Although Rust-oleum  supplied me with the products for my use, all opinions are 100% my own.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks on your marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back later in life. I want to encourage  continue your great job, have a nice day! 
    best dog food for pitbulls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi !
    Nice post and thanks for such a great information.

    Here we can find more about food ! : http://www.topbestdogfoodforpitbulls.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is really nice to read..informative post is very good to read..thanks a lot!
    Legacy Food Storage

    ReplyDelete