Saturday, December 13, 2014

DIY Christmas Block

Each year I make my girls a new Christmas ornament (you can read about it here).
Last year I started making personalized blocks.
While making this years, I decided to take pictures for a little how to.

For our blocks I use the photo from the Christmas card, a photo of a special event during the year, a drawing each girl has done and a transcript of their annual interview.
I like to ask the same questions each year. I enjoying see how or if their taste changes.
As they get older, I'm sure I will have to change the questions.

To get started you will need
Mod Podge
Pictures
Block of wood at least 2.5 x 2.5
I purchased mine at Michael's and cut it into the blocks.
You can purchase the single blocks at AC Moore.
Remember to use a coupon at either store.
Foam Brush
Paint
Sand Paper
Hook
Small piece of ribbon or twine


I make copies of the photos/drawings to get them to fit the block.
I do this at Wal-Green's.
I have found that their wallet size print (4 pictures on a 4x6) is just the right size for the block.
You can do this anywhere as long as the final picture fits the block.

Using the block as a template I trim the pictures down to fit.
I also paint my block (although you don't have to). I have used acrylic and spray paint and had success with both.


Once I have done that I add coat of Mod Podge.

 
I lay the picture directly on top.
Making sure it is position correctly, I smooth out any air bubbles and add another coat.
 
 
Then I let wait for it to dry.
It will dry clear, I promise!!
Once dry I use the sandpaper to rough it up.
 
 
After I remove all the dust, I add a thin coat of Mod Podge.
 
 
I finish off by attaching the hook and twine
and
letting my daughter find the perfect spot on the tree.
 
 
 
Please let me know if you make one.
I would love to see a picture!
 
 
 
Edited:

I have linked up over at....

A Wise Woman Builds Her Home
Ginger Snap Crafts
 

No comments:

Post a Comment